Thursday, September 20, 2012

Product Review - Bic For Her pens vs. The Write Dudes Impressions pens




This product review will be a little different - This time around I will be comparing the new "Bic For Her" ballpoint pens with the Impressions ball point pens from The Write Dudes.

When the "Bic For Her" pens were first introduced to the market, there was a bit of a hubbub about the fact that these pens were being marketed to women. The reviews on Amazon.com alone were over-the-top - most were kind of funny and some were snarky - but when it comes right down to it, why shouldn't the company go for the women's market when it comes to writing instruments. I dare say that women are among the top percentage of buyers of pens, so why shouldn't there be a line of attractive merchandise available that would appeal to women.

That being said, I decided to try out these "girly" pens to see how they performed.

I picked up a package of the "Bic For Her" pens, as well as a package of The Write Dudes' Impressions ball point pens that are similarly packaged towards a feminine market.

Here is what I found:


"Bic For Her" ball point pens:



Description:  (From the www.bicworld.com website)


BIC® for Her:  A ball pen essentially for women!
 
Key Benefits:
  • Retractable ballpoint pen
  • Medium point: 1.00mm
  • Fun comfort grip
  • Modern design

Price:  $2.50 for two pens

My Thoughts:

The "Bic For Her" pens are attractive with the pink and purple color selection with nice floral detailing.

The slightly padded grip was comfortable.  The ink flow was just ok - the black ink was a little light for my taste.  The writing tip was a little sharp for my taste.

My personal opinion - while nice looking writing instruments, the overall price of the "Bic For Her" pens is prohibitive considering the performance of the pen.



The Write Dudes' Impressions ball point pens:




Description: (from the www.boarddudes.com website)

These 3 Gripz Petite pens are stylish retractable ballpoint pens that are excellent writing utensils that are always handy to have around. With comfort grips and stylish designs along the barrel, you can write well and in style too! Each pen has a 1.0mm point for detailed work and handy clips on the sides to attach them to your notepad, shirt pocket or more.

Features:

  • 3-Pack of Gripz Petite retractable ballpoint pens
  • Black ink
  • Barrels come in different colors and a stylish design
  • Large clip for easy attachment to notepads, shirts, or more
  • Great for home, work or school
Price:  $1.67 for three pens


My Thoughts:

These pens are marketed as being "mini" in size, but they were actually only about an inch smaller than the "Bic" pens.  I liked the way the pens felt in my hand - I felt like I had better control of the instrument while writing.

The ink flow of these pens is excellent - smooth and even. And I liked the dark impression the tips left in the writing samples.

The padded grip was soft and relaxing to the hand.  The floral designs on the clips were attractive as well. The pens can also be hooked to a lanyard through the loop opening at the top of the clip.

My personal opinion - I enjoyed writing with these pens very much, and would recommend them highly. They are very worthy of the inexpensive price, plus the fact that you get three pens instead of two makes a difference as well.


Conclusion:

I give the "Impressions" pens from The Write Dudes my highest recommendation.


Disclaimer:
I purchased these items for my personal use. I was not compensated for my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment